11th century temple, former hospital for pilgrims and lepers
Tradition establishes the erection of this church, around 1076, on a building founded by the Cid Campeador that served as a hospital for pilgrims and lepers, just as recalled on an inscription on its door. The current church was built between the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries at the will of the Castilla, a powerful family from Palencia. The old Main Altarpiece was made up of six panels by Juan de Flandes arranged around the painting “La Virgen, el Niño y San Juanillo”, by Andrea de Sarto, that can nowadays be admired in the Diocesan Museum. The current one, in Plateresque style, comes from the church of San Miguel de Tordehumos (Valladolid).